From T2A WIki : An Ultima Online The Second Age reference archive
|Stat Bonus %|
|Required Tools||Fishing Pole|
Fishing is a gathering skill that allows you to fish fishes, magical fishes, level 1 treasure maps and messages in a bottle. Furthermore you can fish for treasures and other items from shipwrecks, once you got the message out of a bottle and are located at the right spot.
prized fish: Adds a temporary +5 to your Intelligence when eaten (no cooking needed). Skill: 0
wondrous fish: Adds a temporary +5 to your Dexterity when eaten. Skill: 0
truly rare fish: Adds a temporary +5 to your Strength when eaten. Skill: 0
highly peculiar fish: Restores 10 points of stamina when eaten. Skill: 0
message in a bottle: When used it extracts a waterstained SOS from the bottle. Skill: 100
Misc items to recover from shipwrecks.
- The higher your skill the higher your chance of catching something more valuable than a normal fish. The skills mentioned above are minimum skills needed to fish up the corresponding item.
- Tests show that a Grandmaster Fisherman pulls up an SOS message in a bottle about once per hour. To reach that he has to fish non-stop, which means he has to cast about 280 times per hour.
- When fishing in "deep water" (which means you must be at least 14 tiles away from all land) there is a chance a sea-serpent pops up if you are fishing with 80+ skill and you fail.
- Other resource gathering skills include Mining and Lumberjacking
- Fishing is a great accompaniment to the skill Cooking
- You don't need to be fisherman to fish up the treasure from a message in a Bottle
A few notes on boats
- Always keep at least 2 copies of your key in your bank
- Always put your key inside the ship hold. This way if you die, nobody can loot your key off your body, and therefore getting your boat
- Always stand in the middle of the boat. Monsters can't reach you that way to melee, and monsters can't cast spells until they melee you first
- Use a sextant and maps! Always keep a sextant on you and one in your hold. A clock and spyglass are also nice. (Hint: Maybe start with 1 point of skill in Cartography. That way, you get a newbie sextant, that will stay with your ghost when you die. )
- Torches never decay or burn out of left on the deck of a ship. Placing a few all over your ship makes your ship glow at night and looks nice